On Empire Day in 1909 Charles Alfred Goymour purchased a bakery business at 10 Hatter Street, Bury St Edmunds which consisted of a shop with living accommodation.
At that time the transport used was a two wheeled horse and cart plus a bread barrow and the horse was kept in a stable adjoining 26 Churchgate Street.
Charles Alfred soon made big changes. He obtained the bread contract for the Gibraltar Barracks, the Workhouse and the Hospital and then purchased a four wheel canvas covered horse van.
In 1913 he added ‘Cox heat trap ovens’ and a dough mixer and also a Ford Model T van, the first motor van in Bury St Edmunds, with which he started delivery rounds to the surrounding areas.
Then came other vehicles, a Ford chain driven Baico extension with roof rack, an ex-army ambulance and a Ford Tonner. So when the war came in 1914 with a well-equipped bakery he was able to produce 46,000 lbs of bread every week.
In December 1923 Charles’s son, Charles Harold Goymour then aged 14, started working for the family business, starting at the bottom to learn the trade starting at 4am and finishing at 8.30pm. At the age of 15 he was quite illegally driving and doing the delivery rounds before becoming a pastry cook cook/confectioner, winning many awards for his work.
In May 1938 Charles Alfred died leaving the majority of his estate to Charles Harold.
In 1943 a further bakery was opened at 33 St Johns Street supplying army command depots at Thetford and Tarvey plus RAF stations in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire followed by another at 15 The Buttermarket.
During 1945 to 1950 four more delivery routes were built and bakeries opened in Thetford, Newmarket and Sudbury until in 1952 following decreased demand for cakes and poor profits on bread Charles Harold decide to sell the business and retire.
In 1952 Charles Harold moved to Grove Farm at Banham which had 296 acres and a herd of pedigree cattle.
Very wisely though he retained the property and rented this to the new bakery owners.
After about a year of retirement he purchased some ‘prefabs’ in Felixstowe and relocated them to land in Stanton which were then rented to Americans.
This was the start of the property management company now known as GOYMOUR HOMES quickly building a large portfolio of owned and managed properties in Norfolk and Suffolk from the dining room of the family home at Banham until 2002 when Goymour Homes returned to the original premises in Hatter Street after a full refurbishment of the timber framed 16th century property.
The return to Hatter Street was a commitment by Charles Harold’s son Martin the third generation of the Goymour family to continue offering the high levels of quality and service which Charles Alfred founded the family business in 1909.
Goymour Homes currently manages an extensive portfolio of residential commercial properties and are extremely proud of their local reputation for providing honest reliable advice to landlords.
The highly professional and experienced staff offer a full range of services from ‘Finding a Tenant’ to ‘Full property management‘ Their flexible attitude and attention to the individual needs of each landlord can provide a bespoke service which can be tailored to meet their requirements.
Branch Manager, Karen Firth, member of The Association of Residential Letting Agents, says “We constantly achieve good levels of rental income and take care to ensure we source the right tenant for each of the properties that we manage”. Our primary commitment is to build long term relationships with both our landlords and tenants by providing the best possible service.”
If you are considering letting your property or would like to find a new home to let please call in and they would be pleased to assist you.
VISIT Goymour Homes
LIKE our Facebook Page
FOLLOW us on Twitter
LOVE us on Instagram
EMAIL us on firstname.lastname@example.org
PHONE us on 01284 766884
LOCATE us at 10 Hatter Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 1LZ