We Love Bury St Edmunds!


The Bury Past and Present Society | Bury St Edmunds

It is always interesting to see old images of familiar scenes, and the Spanton Jarman Collection offers those who love Bury St Edmunds a fascinating view of our town as seen through the eyes of professional photographers at the end of the 19th century and early years of the twentieth century.

The photographic business was founded by William Spanton at 16 Abbeygate Street in 1864, and was rather grandly named the ‘Repository of Arts and West Suffolk Photographic Establishment’. He offered a range of artistic and photographic work, including house decorating, paperhanging, glazing, carving, framing and building. However, as photography became popular he began to focus on that and gave up some of his other activities. William died in 1870, at the age of 47. His son, William Silas Spanton, who was then a student at the Royal College of Art in London, returned to Bury St Edmunds to take over the business, which he ran successfully until 1901.

images Bury St Edmunds and West Suffolk villages

The business was subsequently purchased by Harry Isaac Jarman, who had been apprenticed to John Palmer Clarke, photographer, of Angel Hill. Harry had inherited a large number of glass negatives with the Spanton business, and when Palmer Clarke moved to Cambridge in 1903, he acquired a number of his negatives, showing images Bury St Edmunds and West Suffolk villages.

The business continued to prosper and upon Harry’s death was taken over by his son Oswald Jarman who continued until 1977. By the 1930s the use of glass negatives was phased out as they were overtaken by new technology.

Bury St Edmunds Past & Present Society

Oswald Jarman was a member of the Bury St Edmunds Past & Present Society, and often gave talks on Bury’s past, with film slide presentations showing the photographs. He recognised the importance of preserving these unique records, and on reaching his retirement deposited the fragile glass negatives at the Bury St Edmunds Record Office, where they have since been safely stored in appropriate environmental conditions.

Oswald Jarman and his family wanted the collection to be made available for all, and the Past & Present Society is working to ensure that all 4000 images are digitised and made available to view on line. For more information and to see the latest additions to our website visit www.burypastandpresent.org.uk

505/3716 This family portrait shows William Spanton, seated, with his wife Sarah. William Silas Spanton stands behind, with his sisters Sarah Rebecca and Hannah Kate.

505/3716
This family portrait shows William Spanton,
seated, with his wife Sarah.
William Silas Spanton stands behind, with his
sisters Sarah Rebecca and Hannah Kate.

K505/3185 Harry Isaac Jarman and family, taking tea in their apartment above the shop at 16 Abbeygate Street.The small boy in the front of the picture is Oswald Jarman

K505/3185
Harry Isaac Jarman and family, taking tea in their
apartment above the shop at 16 Abbeygate
Street.The small boy in the front of the picture is
Oswald Jarman

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

K505/3992 Clarkes Butchers shop on the corner of Risbygate Street and St Andrews Street South Frederick Henry Clarke traded here from 1880-1910. The electric lights show that the photograph was taken after 1900.

K505/3992
Clarkes Butchers shop on the corner of Risbygate Street and St Andrews Street South Frederick Henry Clarke traded here from 1880-1910. The electric lights show that
the photograph was taken after 1900.

K505/0522 Shows the Cornhill with market in 1914. Ahead is the shop of Charles Bullen, cabinet Maker. The three storey building is Simpson & Sons, auctioneers, and to the right, the International Stores, opened in 1896. On the left is the castle Hotel with its rows of carriers carts outside. In the centre is the South African war memorial which was dedicated in 1904.

K505/0522
Shows the Cornhill with market in 1914. Ahead is the shop of Charles Bullen, cabinet Maker.
The three storey building is Simpson & Sons, auctioneers, and to the right, the International Stores, opened in 1896.
On the left is the castle Hotel with its rows of carriers carts outside.
In the centre is the South African war memorial which was dedicated in 1904.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ANOTHER SECTION FEATURES INNS AND PUBS

some have survived to this day, but all have seen changes.

 

K505/3153 The Fox, Eastgate Street. This photgraph was taken in October 1920 after the wedding of the landlord’s daughter Hilda Pamplin to Joseph Ballington. The building was renovated by Greene King in 1922.

K505/3153
The Fox, Eastgate Street. This photgraph was taken in October 1920 after the wedding of the landlord’s daughter Hilda Plampin to Joseph Ballington. The building was renovated by Greene King in 192

K505/2714 The Rose and Crown , 50 Westgate Street. Records show that George William Allen, beer seller, lived here in 1869. We have no date for this photograph.

K505/2714
The Rose and Crown , 50 Westgate Street. Records show that George William Allen, beer seller, lived here in 1869. We have no date for this photograph.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

K505/621 The Cupola in the Traverse 1900. Previously known as the ‘Victoria’, the property was acquired in 1882 by the Jennings family. To the right is the ‘Exchange ‘ public house, whose landlord was Alfred Woodhurst.

K505/621
The Cupola in the Traverse 1900. Previously known as the ‘Victoria’, the property was acquired in 1882 by the Jennings family. To the right is the ‘Exchange ‘ public house, whose landlord was Alfred Woodhurst.

 

A SECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS FEATURE SHOPS

here are some you might recognise.

K505/0648 Ridley’s Grocers Shop 1910. The building dates from 1700 and was a grocers shop from 1785 when Edward Ely was recorded as grocer there. The firm of Ridleys took over from Ely in 1801 and traded there until 1995.

K505/0648
Ridley’s Grocers Shop 1910. The building dates from 1700 and was a grocers shop from 1785 when Edward Ely was recorded as grocer there. The firm of Ridleys took over from Ely in 1801 and traded there until 1995.

K505/2026 Boots shop under construction at 15 Cornhill. It was built by local builders, Hinnel & son, and opened in 1910.

K505/2026
Boots shop under construction at 15 Cornhill. It was built by local builders, Hinnel & son, and opened in 1910.

K505/3992 The shop at 16 Abbeygate street, taken in 1905 when occupied by H I Jarman and family.

K505/3992
The shop at 16 Abbeygate street, taken in 1905 when occupied by H I Jarman and family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For more information and many more images from the Spanton Jarman collection, please visit our website www.burypastandpresent.org.uk


The History Of Goymour Homes

Unitarian Meeting House

Missing Shops

%d bloggers like this: